Deposits may not be available for immediate withdrawal.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Unforgivable curses

I watched the delightful little The President is coming yesterday. I would strongly recommend it, unless you're the kind of person who doesn't laugh at politically incorrect jokes, in which case stop reading my blog.

But what I did notice, much to my surprise, was the frequency with which the word "fuck" was uttered. Also, "bitch", "bastard", "asshole", and the relatively mild "shit". Given that this was an Indian movie, I would have expected the censors to have a collective haemmorhage over the assault on fragile Indian sensibilities and the besmirching of culture. Instead the curses continued in a steady flow, and the total number of utterances would have put an R-rated Hollywood production in the shade. I offer my congratulations to the censor board from proving me wrong.

Interestingly, only one word was bleeped out in the entire movie. That word was... "Brahmin".

There's a piece in there somewhere, I just don't know what it is.